Renovating a home is a big investment – emotionally and financially. While renovations can be an exciting process, there are important, non-negotiable regulations that homeowners must adhere to.
Firstly, every homeowner must be in possession of a Gas Certificate of Compliance if they have gas equipment installed in their home.
Also, homeowners must adhere to the The South African Qualification & Certification Committee (SAQCC) regulations which in summary are:
De-Installation of a gas appliance
If your gas appliance is to be relocated to a new position in your room or home, then this must be handled by a Gas Inspector/Installer – who must be registered with the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Safety Association of Southern Africa (LPGAS).
Re-Installation of a gas appliance
When re-installing a gas appliance in its new position, this too must be actioned only by a registered gas installer.
Gas Certificate of Compliance (COC)
Before using this re-installed gas appliance, a new inspection of this installation must be carried out by a registered gas installer/inspector and a new Gas Certificate of Compliance must be issued indicating that the installation:
- has been properly inspected
- is determined to be safe
- is determined to be leak free
- is in proper working order.
It is recommended that, for your own peace of mind, you have a gas inspection done and get an updated Gas Certificate of Compliance – even if your appliance has not been relocated – to be assured that the gas installation is still safe and in good working order and has not been inadvertently damaged by your renovation.
For more information on the South African Qualification & Certification Committee (SAQCC) gas regulations, follow this link: https://saqccgas.co.za/legislation/regulations/
Considerations when planning your renovation
Checking Insurance cover
The importance of this is often overlooked but building sites can be dangerous where accidents can occur at any moment. Prior to any construction work:
- Inform your insurer that you are undertaking a renovation project.
- Ensure that your home insurance policy will cover any unforeseen events.
- Check if your building contractor has insurance coverage for himself and his labour force.
Your insurer will most likely request a copy of your new Gas Certificate of Compliance.
Finding a Registered Gas Inspector/Installer
To avoid any renovation project delays:
- Ensure that you have made prior arrangements for a gas installer/inspector to be available when you need to de-install, and then re-install, your gas appliance.
- Organise a gas inspector to carry out the gas inspection and issue a gas compliance certificate prior to using this newly re-installed gas appliance.
Adhering to Gas safety regulations
Ensure that, when identifying a temporary location for your gas bottles whilst renovating, you adhere to these gas safety regulations:
Gas bottles may not be installed:
- Less than 1 metre sideways from doors and windows
- Less than 2 metres from drains and air vents
- Less than 3 metres below windows (unless a non-combustible roof is installed)
- Less than 1 metre from the property boundary wall (unless it is a fire wall)
- Less than 5 metres sideways away from a switchable electric point or plug switch
- Light bulbs cannot be less than 1.5 metres above a gas bottle.
Renovating can be fun but it can be hazardous. So protect yourself and your family, be compliant and adhere to all insurance, gas and gas safety regulations.
Order 10 LPG Bottle refills Online and get 1 refill free, give us this PROMO CODE: SIMS10 when you place your order.
Sims Gas – Your Energy Partner
Phone: 0861 746 7427
Order Online Here: https://simsgas.co.za/index.php/shop.html
We Deliver Diesel to your home or business!
Do you need diesel for your generators, a small fleet or for your forklifts? Contact Sims Gas and we will deliver the diesel straight to your door.
Please note: the diesel price changes on a monthly basis so call or email our office for the latest price.
Phone: 0861 746 7427
We will deliver to your home or business, so order today!
Johannesburg Phone: 011 494 4232
Durban Phone: 031 902 6533
Or fill in your gas supply query here: http://ow.ly/B7YH30mIb8h